Use Solar Electricity to Heat your Water
A solar immersion diverter is an automatic power controller for heaters that allows you to turn your solar photovoltaic system into a solar hot water system. They divert surplus energy generated by your solar photovoltaic panels to heat your water using your immersion heater. There are options to also divert the surplus energy to heat your rooms using storage heaters, infra-red panels, electric panel heaters, and electric under-floor heating.
- Fuel bill savings. Solar immersion diverters can reduce a household’s energy bills by up to £250 per year, by utilising your surplus solar photovoltaic electricity. Some of the devices can accurately report the savings you are making each day and month, as well as the total savings.
- Will not affect your Feed-in Tariff payments.
- Preserves the environment. Heating your water with the green energy produced by your solar photovoltaic panels will contribute to alleviating your carbon emissions.
- No need to change the existing immersion heater.
- Simple and quick to install.
- Affordable alternative to a solar battery
As you can see from the image on the right, comparing an immerSUN to an inverter, immerSUNs are very compact.
How they work
A solar immersion diverter detects how much power is being exported from your solar photovoltaic panels to the grid and directs this power to your immersion heater, ensuring all of your green energy is fully utilised. It does this automatically, and often when you are not occupying your house and therefore not making use of your electricity.
The solar immersion diverters that Solarwall install, such as immerSUN and the Solar iBoost are compatible with all inverters, smart meters, and energy monitoring systems. As they are modulating devices, they will not allow your heating source to import energy from the grid unless you use the built-in boost feature. They work automatically, so once your solar immersion diverter is switched on it can be left alone and will constantly measure the amount of power being exported from your solar panels, and divert it. Installation of a solar immersion diverter costs from £500 to £600.
If you are interested in solar immersion diverters or require more information, please contact us - you can speak to one of our Energy Team, who are trained to offer you the most up-to-date and accurate information.